Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Resurgence of the Good Cook

Unbeknownst to most of you, I am a good cook.

uh, what? 

Really, I am. Unfortunately, this talent has lain dormant for most of my pregnancy either due to laziness or nausea. Thankfully, it is coming back - both to my husband and I's delight. I really hate eating out, since I prefer my own cooking, and he really loves saving money. It's a win-win!

My pregnancy has been uneventful, craving wise, but I have a few times gotten some cravings for some  childhood favorites. Today I am making my mom's ever-famous broccoli casserole and thought, this is easy and delicious! I should share! As a kid, this made me eat veggies, which was rather miraculous, and ask for seconds, which was even more incredible. So if you have a kid who doesn't like veggies and isn't picky about texture, this may work.

So here you are:

Ingredients
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Onion (shredded)
Cabbage (shredded; buy fresh and shred on your grater)
Brown rice (cooked)
Cream of mushroom soup
Cheese (shredded)

Directions

Steam the broccoli, cauliflower, onion and cabbage all together until soft. Then mix this with as much cream of mushroom soup as it takes to coat it - it's personal preference really, depending on how "casserole"y you like your casseroles! Once done, layer in a baking pan the broccoli mix, rice, and cheese, until you reach the top and make sure you end with MORE CHEESE.

Bake in oven at 350 until bubbling and cheese has melted. Enjoy the goodness!!

We didn't even eat a fourth of this last night, but I am looking forward to having it for the rest of the week!! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe. I am definitely making this! I realized after I went grocery shopping this week that we have three bags of brown rice. Woops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me feel like I'm not just talking to myself or the government (because I know the government secretly reads my blog). Help me feel less crazy - comment away!