Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Welcoming DGO to RCC, Part II

In the first post, I talked about what I planned differently in advance that made the baptism more personally meaningful and enjoyable for me. 


We also did the actual liturgy itself a bit differently! We started in the narthex, which is the area outside the actual sanctuary. This is where our main holy water font is and where the Liturgy of the Word and the baptism were performed. Then we processed into the main sanctuary for the Liturgy of the Eucharist, symbolizing David's entrance into the Church!
Waiting for Tom, I believe!



If I could look anymore like my Grandma Dorothy in this picture, I'd actually become her
It is unconventional to do the liturgy this way, but I loved it because it felt so communal. We were all gathered there, in a circle around the font, and it felt like what it should be: a group of believers coming together to witness a babe's entrance into the Church! It wasn't a performance with an audience and since our parish is quite large, the small narthex made the small group of twenty or so people gathered feel much more intimate. I loved that I could look around and see the faces of so many people who love and support us - some of the same people who will love and support David throughout his life and journey of faith. 
Notable absences were all of my siblings and Tom's family - although since it was Mother's Day weekend, it was understandable! Especially for Tom's family, who had only just welcomed Tom's newest nephew, aka David's built-in best friend. 

Zuzu's Easter dress does double duty


David's godfather, Matt, did one of the readings and Jen read the intercessions, while David's lovely godmother Annie (8 months pregnant with her third child) sang a setting of the 66th Psalm written by Tom. Talk about emotion - my heart was so full seeing this celebration. The priest who baptized David is Fr. Joe, Zuzu's godfather and Tom and I's best friend from when we were in school together at the Catholic University of America. Back in the day, Tom, Joe, and I used to skulk out around DC and NOVA, generally getting into theological arguments and trying to find the best bar. Eight years later, Fr. Joe is baptizing Tom and I's son and I'm holding back tears. 







The newest Christian! 

Sibling love




Processing in!
The gifts were brought up by two members of a family that we love so much. Incidentially, they really saved my biscuits this morning when they gladly agreed to pick up the cake and drop it off at the reception room! But imagine how bad I felt when I realized we hadn't paid for it in advance. Of course, because they are classy and wonderful, they brushed off my apologies and offered checks with the greatest of ease. This community blesses us beyond measure. 


When Fr. Joe called for a Eucharistic minister, Jen stepped forward and lo, another blessed moment where I received the Precious Blood from my best friend at the baptism of my son. 

The pictures afterwards were a wonderful conundrum of encouraging hungry toddlers to stand still, ushering people in and out of the frames, and general hilarity. It reminded me of our wedding, nearly four years ago, in the same place with so many of the same people - the same community welcoming us and supporting us, just like they promised to that hot July evening. 






After that, it was party time! We didn't get many shots...too busy having fun! 



Zuzu and Augie, her buddy 



Next up: The after party...on the beach! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me feel like I'm not just talking to myself or the government (because I know the government secretly reads my blog). Help me feel less crazy - comment away!